Thursday, December 3, 2015

Cycle 5 - getting the hang of chemotherapy

Chapter 13 - Starting to get the hang of chemotherapy [Friday 4 December]
At the start of each cycle, my infusions of "E" and "C" are accompanied by loads of steroids, which produce various side-effects including Hmmm, maybe this isn't a nice topic to open a blog post with... Let's skip over the details and just say that after five rounds of experimentation, I've figured out how to take preemptive Senna and Movicol to manage this one.

In cycle 5, my chemotherapy doses have been reduced for the second time. Apparently this is normal: they start off with doses that they think are likely to be too big for the patient, then watch for side-effects and reduce the doses by roughly 20% at a time. My dose of capecitabine (the toxin I take daily in pill form) was 1300 mg twice daily in cycle 1 and is now 800 mg twice daily.

Whereas in cycle 4 I felt washed out for almost the whole cycle, in cycle 5, I perked up from last Saturday (day 10) to today (day 16), which is great. Ramesh and I spent a day at Torrin's primary school (day 9) helping out with "Maths day". You can see Torrin enjoyed having his parents in school! I went down to London last Wednesday (day 7) for a meeting at Google Deep Mind about using machine learning to enhance climate science and to see Book of Mormon; and then again this Wednesday to give a talk about Why Making Good Energy Policy is Difficult in the House of Lords.

Here is a graph of my haemoglobin and white blood cell measurements. The green and blue lines delimit the "normal range" for each indicator. The brown line at the bottom indicates infusion days that begin each 3-week cycle. The yellow line shows whether I was taking capecitabine.



The interesting features are: (1) the low haemoglobin [June] that kicked off the investigations that led to my cancer being diagnosed; (2) bouts of neutropenia (low white blood counts) at the end of most of the chemo cycles; (3) monocytes are baby neutrophils, so high monocyte counts are a good sign of (temporary) recovery.

What else is going on?

The Huntingdon Road safety campaign #EddingtonSafety has not produced any positive results yet, but we haven't given up hope.

The children have been ill a lot recently; Eriska has followed up a lengthy snotty cold by contracting hand, foot and mouth disease. The doctors tell me to avoid contact if possible, which is sad, because it's nice to cuddle her.

Last night we had an evening out at a new Thai restaurant, Thaikhun, in Cambridge. Yum. Tonight we are planning a night out - thanks very much to Nanny for the babysitting! - to see Bridge of Spies at the cinema.

5 comments:

Carl said...

Bridge of Spies is excellent. We really enjoyed it. Hope you have fun too.

Unknown said...

So good to hear from you, David.

Unknown said...

Nice to see you and Torrin at school. He seems to have some block heads in his class...

Tim Green said...

Huge congratulations on your knighthood, David.

I had mixed feelings when you went to DECC, obviously it'd be great for the country and planet, but you wouldn't be teaching the Part III Information Theory course! I now find myself using your textbook to prepare for interviews for machine learning jobs, so thank you for that (... and the advising government bit).

I also remembered a few months ago, in a funny coincidence, you introduced me to mySociety and the civic technology scene [1] which I now spend a lot of time on in the Democracy Club elections project!

I was shocked to read about your diagnosis. I don't know what to say really, apart from selfishly relating one of the incidental influences you've had on me. I will say, though, than your blog posts are gracefully and inspirationally written as always, despite the enormity.

Tim

[1] I think you referred to their postcode lookup in an email about house energy monitoring, which prompted me to look at them more

Anonymous said...

I'm 55-year-old from paris, I was diagnosed with second-stage liver cancer following a scheduled examination to monitor liver cirrhosis. I had lost a lot of weight. A CT scan revealed three tumors; one in the center of my liver in damaged tissue and two in healthy portions of my liver. No chemotherapy or radiotherapy treatment was prescribed due to my age, the number of liver tumors. One month following my diagnosis I began taking 12 (350 point) Salvestrol supplements per day, commensurate with my body weight. This comprised six Salvestrol Shield (350 point) capsules and six Salvestrol Gold (350 point) capsules, spread through the day by taking two of each capsule after each main meal. This level of Salvestrol supplementation (4,000 points per day) was maintained for four months. In addition, I began a program of breathing exercises, chi exercises, meditation, stretching and stress avoidance. Due to the variety of conditions that I suffered from, I received ongoing medical examinations. Eleven months after commencing Salvestrol supplementation But all invalid so I keep searching for a herbal cure online that how I came across a testimony appreciating Dr Itua on how he cured her HIV/Herpes, I contacted him through email he listed above, Dr Itua sent me his herbal medicine for cancer to drink for two weeks to cure I paid him for the delivering then I received my herbal medicine and drank it for two weeks and I was cured until now I'm all clear of cancer, I will advise you to contact Dr Itua Herbal Center On Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. WhatsApps Number...+2348149277967. If you are suffering from Diseases listed below, Cancer, HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Bladder cancer,Brain cancer,Colon-Rectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Prostate Cancer,
?Esophageal cancer,?Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,?Hodgkin lymphoma
?Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,?Multiple myeloma,?Neuroendocrine tumors,Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,?Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,?Sinus cancer,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,?Uterine cancer,Vaginal cancer,?Vulvar cancer,Hepatitis, Chronic Illness. Lupus,Fibromyalgia.