Thursday, August 28, 2008

All about this blog (ITILA)

The ITILA blog is named after Information Theory, Inference, and Learning Algorithms, the first book I wrote. (It's available free online, so do help yourself!) One of the themes of that book was that everything is connected. Not only information theory and machine learning, which are two sides of a single coin; but also communication, data compression, evolution, sex, satellites, discdrives, solitons, thermodynamics - pretty much any topics you care to mention. ITILA is a textbook about information theory whose goals include bringing out these connections, and making information theory and statistics fun.
This blog is not only for posts about ITILA the book.
I'm going to use this blog to post work-related stuff - all the things that I used to slap into my now rather unwieldy home-page;
and for occasional personal items that I think might interest work colleagues.
Anything I'm excited about, I'll probably put a post here.
By the way, I do have another blog, withouthotair, which is where I post anything to do with energy. Like this blog, that blog is also named after a book - "Sustainable Energy - without the hot air" - which should be published in November 2008. (It's also free online.)

No comments: